Wednesday, September 10, 2008

In Bruges

two days ago i got lost in Brussels, both in the good part as well as in the bad part. suffice to say, the majority of people i meet when i am by myself are
1. very friendly
2. very willing to help
3. love the fact i am from america as they do not see many american tourists.

another interesting thing is that the majority of people over here speak english. as i was out with Florence the other day, we came across a group from Latvia who did not speak french very will but did speak english.

When i was walking through the bad parts of brussels however not many people spoke english, one person i met on the bus last night when i was trying to get home did speak spanish, and with my sorry excuse for a map and my knowledge of the big things by virginia's house i was able to find out where we were. "aqui? cuantos stops? cinco? si, muey bien. gracias" This very limited knowledge of spanish i have makes me want to go to spain now and see if i can pick up more.


So yesterday i went to Bruges, an hour train ride from Brussels. It is a very old city that has now become more of a tourist town than anything else. Filled with many shops, half a dozen old cathedrals open to the public for tour and surrounded by a moat from the 14 century. The night before we left i watched the movie In Bruges, with Collin Ferril (who the entire time hated being there because it was so touristy. I did most of the tourist things available, my favorite being a half hour boat ride through some of the moat.

I met several people from the states over here, mainly from california, but i also heard a lot of people speaking english from the UK. It makes me want to go there so much more. I may be going sometime next week, the plane tickets only cost about 15 Euro (25 bucks american or so, the exchange rate is really bad, the value of the american dollar sucks right now)

Anyway, im going to go for now. I am working on the pictures issue still, i also need to find a place with a power converter so i can charge my battery.

No comments: