Friday, September 19, 2008

Ireland

Woke up at 6 this morning, took the metro to a bus station which was literally pulling out of the station by the time i got there. I didn't sleep a whole lot because i was worrying about not having an alarm clock (There are no Wal-Marts in France and the only ones i found here are uber-expensive), I had to rely on the drunk Aussie couple that was staying in the room with me to get me up at 6 when there alarm went off.

As far as Paris goes, i love it. People say its dirty, so is Seattle, New York, LA and every other major city anywhere. All of the streets and sidewalks are pretty cramped close together and the hostel i stayed in felt like a house from the Shire. That being said, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

The other thing i hear people say all the time is that the Parisians are rude. Not the ones i met. This morning when i couldnt find the bus and was walking about in the dark (sunrose as 7:46 (yes dad i saw the sunrise today))

And now to Ireland.
The moment i got off the plane i couldn't stop smiling. all the people with red hair and their accents were amazing. I noticed an American passport in the hands of someone in the airport. sat next to them on the plane, an American newlywed military couple and we shared info about how to get around and how we missed speaking English with people and how we want to read menus again.

I got got my backs and had a little trouble understanding the customs agent when he asked me the usual where am i coming from, what am i doing here, how long will i stay, and whats my occupation. His accent was awesome but a little hard to understand.

Once i got off in the middle of Dublin, the smile still never left my face. The streets are wide and very clean, the government here has been doing a lot to make this place really shine 150$ fine for spitting your gum on the street.
Well im going to go for now. Try to find my Cali friends from Paris and grab a pint of Guinness and something to eat. Then some light exploring and check in at the hostel to see if i have a bed.

Sloan (Irish goodbye, girl on the bus taught me that)

Jeff

PS.
Despite all of my last minute planning and general lack of direction i have not come to any bumps in the road. *knock on wood*

No comments: