Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Espana

So yesterday i was talking with the front desk staff at the hostel and they enlightened me as to what i could do to get to Barcelona, as i am still following my Aussie friends (and i just didnt want to take such a long flight). So i booked my plane ticket to Barcelona and just got in a couple hours ago.

Backtrack on that though, the plane ticket was only 40 euros, and that was with all the taxes and such, and booking it less than 24 hours in advance. I went to the train station to take me to Pisa, where the airport is (along with a faulty tower). The train ticket was 6 euros. it was just a small slip of paper, not like the large one when i took the train from Rome to Florence, so i figured it would fit in the time stamp validator. I was wrong.

The conductor lady came through to check everyones and told me that its a 40 euro fine for not having it stamped. She told me that she would let it go this time. I think it helped that my aussie friend Sarah is a hair dresser back home and i got all trimmed up the day before.

So i waited around the airport all day today for my flight, weather delays. Had myself one last Italian pizza, loaded with uzzigi (mushrooms).

And then i went to Spain. The plane landed not in Barcelona but a podunk town and hour and a half bus ride away, so i took a little nap as we went along the highway which reminded me very much of the west side of WA. Got off the plane later than i expected, i was banking on the fact that the tourist office would still be open. It was not. I went in and logged onto a computer to find out how to get to the hostel. I asked a lady waiting there, donde es aqui. which im hoping means where is here, but who knows. She got the jist anyway and said estacion Nord. North Station. so i drew a bad map and wrote the directions and made my way the half mile or so to the hostel, stopping to ask a local donde es la Arc de Triumf which was one of the landmarks on my directions. I could have found it myself but Senora Chapman would be proud of me this way.

So im booked now at this hostel for 5 nights, after which im not sure what im going to do. Berlin and Prague are out of the question now, it just didnt seem to make sense going to eastern europe for so short of time, i will save that all for next trip.

So its 11 at night here, in half hour the hostel is leaving for some clubs, dont know if im up for that yet, i kind of just want to sleep and relax, i am going to try taking a walking tour tomorrow with Sarah and Katelyn (the aussies). Then spend the rest just wandering around and relaxing. I cannot wait to go back to Brussels for my friends and the good chocolate and beer. i think im going to go to amsterdam and then to brussels or vice versa depending on what the belgians think.

i feel like the end is near, it feels grand though. i feel more whole as a person. When i tell all of you about the people i meet, they truly are as good as i tell you if not better. Backpackers especially are just good people, there are a lot of study abroad kids as well but they usually are more cliquey and come in groups and are anti-social. There are heaps of aussies over here, many canadians, and then very few proper american backpackers like myself, most are studying somewhere.

And as a travel trip for any of you kids who want to go backpacking around europe (one of many tips i can give you)

dont use a backpack. Just get a wheely suitcase. my back hurts. ¨

also, dont listen to what other people say about other countries and their people. how french are rude or whatever. think of your common day, dont you met a rude person or seven, and does that make americans rude? Just keep an open mind, whether you are in europe or Cheney. And get up and do something, not just building fence. make a trip to the cheney museum on your way to work. Check out the Art gallery in spokane. Take in a show at the Arena. DO IT.

Anyway, i can´t wait to tell you all in person the proper stories i have and to show you the pictures that i dont have the time to post.

cheers,
Jeff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I remember right - you HAVE a "wheelie" suitcase - but thought that would be geeky to trek through Europe with.....moral of the story - LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER!!!
The countdown is really on. Been fun to "travel" with you but will be good to have you home too.
Hope you enjoy Espana. I know Senora Chatman will be proud of you for visiting and using all the knowledge you gained in her class!
When in Spain.... doesn't it rain on the plane there????
Have fun!
Love ya,

Mom