Tuesday, November 29, 2011

i love vacation

i know, i know. i have been posting more in the past two days than i have in the past two months. I am sitting in beautiful cambodia meeting wonderful people. I had a a 5 hour layover in china, it gave me some time to read some of the stuff i had printed out about Siem Reap, Phnom Pehn, and Sinoukville: three cities i plan on visiting. As we got on the connection to Siem Reap there was a white guy sitting in front of me at the emergency exit and the flight attendant came up to him and say "sir, sir, do not pull this" indicating to the lever to release the door. The white guys face was priceless as it was a very dumb thing to have to tell an adult and i started laughing out loud, the white guy looks at me and says "yeah, that was a pretty f&$*ing stupid thing to say wasn't it?"  I chatted with him for a bit, he was from New Zealand but lives here in Cambodia with his wife who works for a NGO. When we got off I asked him where was the best place to get a tuk-tuk(the motorcycle rick-shaws and Cambodia), and if he knew of a good place to stay  he called his Cambodian co-worker and started to look at his iphone for info and the Cambodian just said after a bit of trouble with the 3G, 'oh, just come with us'.
So they drove me into town and took me to a hotel where i got to check out the room before i took it. there were two options $22 and $25, oh and btw, they use the US dollar here in Cambodia since the Cambodian Reil is a closed currency and cannot be bought or exchanged outside the borders, so $20 is on the steeper side here in Cambodia, but it was late and in all honesty, really? just $25? its vacation, i have a good(ish) job. The room was the best in the place, balcony and a view of the city, A/C and two beds (not that i needed two). I took it, took a shower and headed to the lobby to use the wifi (there is wifi in the rooms too, but the real reason was to meet people). I met two Brits, Jenny and Ash, who were travelling all over Asia. They were trying to book flights and i offered my advice with a couple websites they hadnt heard of and ended up going for dinner and drinks with them later. The next morning they had a pre-arranged tuktuk to take them all over Angkor ruins to see the old temples and invited me along. so i woke up at 6 and we went all over taking pictures and having good chats. then i enjoyed the city for a couple hours while they took a siesta and i got a haircut and bought some stuff from the markets. I don't want to bore you with all the mundane details, but we went for dinner last night, saw a traditional Khmer dance, got a full body massage for $4, and had a great time around the city. They left this afternoon after i got done talking with my friends John and Anne (co-workers/best friends in Korea), my mom, and my favorite cousin via Skype, poolside.
omg, i forgot to tell you about the one armed Austrian.....
first night i was here after i met the two brits, and they went to go get ready for the night, i met a one armed austrian who was an older guy, 40's or 50's who was also trying to use the computer to book flights.... but he didnt know much about computers, so i helped him for a bit and yesterday got him squared away. Next time i am in Europe i will be sure to look him up as he said i am always welcome to stay with him and his family. In an hour he will come down to meet his tuktuk driver to take him to an airfield where he will take a light-plane to view angkor ruins for $120. i am thinking about doing it as well another day but a half hour one for $80. time will tell.

I will go now and enjoy the 85 degree weather poolside and get ready for a tuktuk around the city.
again i apologize for the stream-of-thought writing, but i am in too good of a mood and enjoying my vacation too much to go back and read my own boring writing to fix it!

No comments: